May 13-14, 2022 at the Lakeview Conference Center in Port Washington, WI
Thank you for your interest in NCRAL VISION 2022! After the Covid-19 pandemic forced us to cancel our 2020 event, it is re-born for 2022. The Northern Cross Science Foundation is pleased to be hosting the first in-person AL-related convention (anywhere) since 2019. We have packed an enticing array of activities and world-class speakers to make your convention experience enjoyable and memorable. Read on to discover all that awaits you when you attend NCRAL VISION 2022, and find all of the information you need to reserve your seat today!
Our theme is “Vision 2022” which will have new meaning in a post-pandemic world. We have re-confirmed an exciting list of core speakers:
- Dr. William Dirienzo, Assistant Professor of Physics & Astronomy at University of Wisconsin-Sheboygan
- Brandon Hamil, Minnesota Astronomical Society: “The Traveling Astronomer”
- Dr. Franck Marchis, Senior Planetary Astronomer at the SETI Institute and Chief Science Officer at Unistellar
- Kate Meredith, Founder & Director of Education at Geneva Lake Astrophysics & STEAM
- David Prosper, Program Manager for Amateur Astronomy at the Astronomical Society of the Pacific & Administrator of the NASA Night Sky Network: “The Latest From The NASA Night Sky Network”
- Dr. Dennis Roscoe, Astronomy Instructor at the University of Wisconsin-Milwaukee, Waukesha Campus: “Next Generation Telescopes”
- “Astro” Bob King, Retired Photo Editor of the Duluth News Tribune, publisher of “Astro Bob” blog since 2008, contributing author for Sky & Telescope and Universe Today, author of “The Night Sky With The Naked Eye” and “Wonders Of The Night Sky You Must See Before You Die.”
- Banquet Speaker: Dr. Francis Halzen, Gregory Breit Professor and Hilldale Professor at University of Wisconsin-Madison, and Principal Investigator of the IceCube Neutrino Observatory in Antarctica
We have a few more speakers for Friday and Saturday being confirmed, in addition to finalizing a few topics with our confirmed speakers, so be sure to check back for updates.
Additional activities on Friday afternoon and evening include:
- a Library Telescope workshop showing some of the construction steps as well as lessons learned from our experience with the program
- a tour of the Jim & Gwen Plunkett Observatory at nearby Harrington Beach State Park, which features some upgrades to the building and the instrumentation since our previous NCRAL hosting.
Additional Friday afternoon and evening activities are being discussed by the committee; again, updates will be forthcoming.
Friday dinner is on your own, although with the planned on-site activities we recommend availing yourself of the hotel restaurant to stay close to the action — menu is extensive, and includes several traditional Friday Fish Fry selections.
Saturday lunch and dinner meals will be catered, served buffet-style, and are included as part of your convention registration:
- Hot ham & pineapple
- Chicken tips with cream of mushroom sauce
- Mashed potatoes
- Glazed carrots
- Dinner rolls w/butter
- Pepper steak
- Chicken schnitzel
- Sautéed tilapia
- Greek potatoes
- Green beans
- Tossed salad
- Greek salad
- Dinner rolls w/butter
- NCRAL VISION 2022 Celebration Cake
Coffee, water and light snacks will also be provided throughout the convention.
Note that the convention hotel provides a hot breakfast each morning for those staying on-site.
We are excited to host you at NCRAL Vision 2022! You may sign up using either traditional printable forms, or you may sign up online:
PLEASE NOTE: We will be putting in our food order on Friday, April 29, 2022. While we will be taking registrations at the door (which will include the meals), we ask that people register well beforehand so we can be sure to accommodate as many attendees as possible. Unless you truly don’t know until the last minute if you can attend, please register for NCRAL VISION 2022 as soon as possible — it will help us all greatly in our planning and execution of the convention. Thanks!
If you would like to use the paper registration forms and mail in your information and payment, download the PDF.
If you want to sign up online, there are three steps to getting yourself set up for this astronomical experience:
Questions? Email us.
We have a block of rooms at the conference hotel reserved for NCRAL Vision 2022 guests. Most are double queen, but some are single king. They are all offered at the same discounted rate of $113/night (plus tax) based on double occupancy. Additional occupants for these rooms are $10/night (plus tax). All registered guests will enjoy full use of the hotel facilities, including indoor pool, whirlpool, fitness room, game room, and full hot breakfast each morning. Our block of rooms will be open until April 13, 2022, and is limited in number, so don’t delay! Call the Country Inn & Suites in Port Washington, WI at (262) 284-2100 and ask for the NCRAL Convention rate. You may also want to peruse their website.